Top Policies

Price & Payment

Test Retake Policies

Transcripts & Diploma


Top Policies

Price & Payment

Test Retake Policies

Transcripts & Diploma


Top Policies

How old do I need to be to take the test?

You must be 18 years old to test in Michigan.

I’m underage. What do I need to do to take the test?

Individuals who are at least 16 years of age and have been out of a regular school program for one calendar year may be tested.  The calendar year waiting requirement may be waived if it is in the best interest of the individual as determined by a student, and a school district’s superintendent or designee and parent/guardian or is court ordered, and is in accordance with State-approved HSE testing center guidelines.  The Michigan Talent Investment Agency will retain documentation of this waiver requirement signed by the student, parent/guardian and school district’s superintendent or designee.  This documentation shall include language that HSE testing is in the best interest of the examinee and has been approved by the above-mentioned signatories. The Michigan National Guard Youth Challenge Program graduates who are at least 16 years of age and no longer enrolled in high school are eligible for testing upon completion of the program.

Applicants for induction into the U.S. Armed Forces who are age 17 may be admitted to testing, provided a written request is made by the recruiting office of any branch of the Armed Forces stating that the applicant has met all military requirements for induction except for HSE test scores, and provided request is accompanied by letter or written statement signed by the local school official stating that the individual has left school and that it would probably be in the best interest of the person to be admitted to testing and, also, a letter of permission for induction from the applicant’s parent or guardian is furnished.

Do I need to prove I’m a resident of Michigan to take the test?

No, there is no residency requirement to take the test in Michigan.

The closest testing center is in a different state. Can I take the test there?

Some states allow people who don’t live there to take the GED® test and others don’t. You’ll need to check the residency requirement for the state that you’re interested to test in.

Do I need to take a GED® class or receive instruction from a local prep center before I can take the test?

No, Michigan doesn’t require you to prepare for the GED® test in an adult education classroom.

Do I have to take the GED Ready® practice test before testing?

No, you’re not required to take the GED Ready® practice test before taking the official GED® test.

Are there any additional state requirements for me to pass my GED® test?


Price & Payment

How much does the GED® test cost?

Michigan charges $37.50 per module for the GED® test.

Test Retake Policies

If I don’t pass, how long do I have to wait before taking the test again?

In Michigan, there is no waiting period if you do not pass a subject area test the first time. After taking a test subject 3 times, you’ll have to wait 60 days before retesting. There’s no limit to how many times you can test in a year.

How much does it cost to retake the exam? Can I take the retest for free?

You will receive two discounted retakes for every GED® test subject you purchase but don’t pass. GED Testing Service waives its $20 testing fee, however your state may require a separate fee.

Michigan charges a $10 fee for test retakes.

Transcripts & Diploma

I passed the GED® test but Michigan won’t issue my diploma. What do I do?

The State of Michigan uses DiplomaSender, an external internet-based service to help students order their GED® transcripts. DiplomaSender can fax, email, or mail your GED® transcript to you, an employer, school, or other organization.

To begin your request, or for more information about obtaining your GED® transcript, please visit:  www.DiplomaSender.com

How do I request my transcript and diploma?

You can request your official transcript on  Diploma Sender .

What is the GED® credential in my state called?

In Michigan, the credential is called the High School Equivalency Certificate.


Can I take all of the GED® test subjects at once or do I need to setup different appointment times?

Yes, in Michigan you can take all test subjects in the same day if you can find a testing center with hours that accommodate it.

Can I take the GED® Test in other languages? Am I allowed to combine languages to credential?

Yes, in Michigan, you can take the GED® Test in English or Spanish and you can combine the two languages to earn your credential.

What happens if I move to a different state in the middle of testing? Can I continue my testing in my new state or do I have to start all over?

It depends on whether or not that state has a residency requirement.  Check the residency requirements in that state and don’t hesitate to contact the GED Administrator in that state with questions.

Who is the GED Administrator in Michigan?

Krista Johnson
GED Administrator
Workforce Development  – Adult Services
201 N. Washington Square
Victor Building, 2nd Floor
Lansing, MI 48913
Phone: (517) 241-3249
Fax: (517) 373-7794